Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I am not a quitter...Well, I wasn't!

I want to make it clear that I am not a quitter. I’m not, I swear. Ever since 7th grade when I quit the swim team and shortly thereafter tried to quit the track team and my dad made it clear to me that quitting is not the answer I have not been a quitter. I do not intend to start now. There is the time that I quit the diet…and the gym…and the skinny jeans but those were just unreasonable requests and I do not feel that these quits count! I have been begging Zach forever now to carve pumpkins with me for Halloween. I think every year since we met. Then time passes and no pumpkins get carved. This year I bought the pumpkins and the carving kit and we were on our way. I was soooo excited. I cannot even begin to share my excitement. We picked our stencils and we were off. Um, well Zach was off. I did my first cut into the eyebrow – ugh, I was seriously so annoyed. I could not believe how boring this was. I cringe at the thought. In fact after this post I do not intend on ever discussing or participating in pumpkin carving again. I’m not kidding, try me. After my quick moment of despair happiness sunk in. I knew that Zach was dreading the night the entire day so I was sooooo excited to give him an easy out. After just seconds from the start I told him that I was bored and he was lucky because I wasn’t going to force him to carve pumpkins with me. Wow, a man I thought I knew so well blindsided me unexpectedly. I got the same speech from him that I got from my dad in 7th grade. “You need to finish what you start, blah blah blah.” Luckily I hadn’t carved my pumpkin an ear yet so I had someone…something to tune out the lame speech with me! I quit. He couldn’t make me carve that most retarded pumpkin. I have a life you know. After much guilt tripping I finally gave in and carved the stupid pumpkin. Oh I don’t know if anyone has ever mentioned this before but I’m incredibly stubborn. I was not about to carve the stupid stencil. That would take way too much time and precision. Instead I turned the lame pumpkin around and carved my own little 30 second face. I just finished my art class this summer I was at least cut out to free carve. And I did..I think I clocked me at just under 30 seconds. AND 30 minutes later Zach was finished with his. I must say he did an excellent job for someone who was dreading pumpkin carving. After all was said and done he said he would do it again next year. If anything good came from pumpkin carving it was just another agreement on how to raise our kids. We agreed that I’ll take them to theme parks and he can carve ridiculous pumpkins. I will never carve another pumpkin. Maybe I’ll paint one next time!

Here is the stupid stencil of what my pumpkin was supposed to look like.

This is me making an extremely good judgment call and overrulling my stencil.

Zach's perfect artwork...he really surprised me. I'm a proud wife.

Our perfect match!!

6 comments:

Marcy Cheney said...

You seriously crack me up!! And by the way Missy, never say never---cause ya just never know. I'm glad that Zach wouldn't let you quit--but don't you secretly hate it when they're (Zach and Dad) right? I love you so much and miss you guyz tons...

Stefanie said...

It is my personal opinion that your pumpkin is much better than Zach's!! ;) ha ha I love it!

Audrey said...

When I posted the other day I didn't really get time to read everything. You should be a writer. You are hilarious when you write stories. :) I love it. That was a fun day when you came. I wish we could do it all the time. Do you get to go see Amber tomorrow. I can't believe she leaves next week! Crazy. I hope you have a wonderful Halloween! Even if your pumpkins didn't turn out! HEE HEE HEE I think I peed a little reading that story! You are such a character! Miss you tons. Love ya Aud

Andrea said...

I had no idea you had a blog!! I'm so excited! I think about you to. We should try to get together sometime when I come up... sadly I have no idea when that'll be. Hope things are going great!!

~Hugs~

cleo cheney said...

three blogs in one day? WOW, are you trying to empress me? Love the pumpkins, think now how good you will be when MJ wants to carve one'
love ya mouse
DAD

Cisneros Family said...

That is a great story Sara. I am still laughing. I get pretty annoyed carving pumpkins too. Not so much the carving, but they are so messy. Ooh, I hate it. But they look great. Way to not quit!! Hope you guys are doing good.