Sunday, November 29, 2009

3 Months Old

Today Kenleigh is 3 months old. I seriously can’t believe how quick time is flying. My first trimester seemed to be the longest three months of my life. I love being a mother more.than.anything! I can’t imagine anything in life that feels more rewarding. It felt like it was a tough adjustment period for me for a little while. Kenleigh was pretty fussy early on and I wasn’t sure when that would ever end. I didn’t know the right ways or the quickest ways to calm her. I am her mother and I didn’t know the right ways to calm her. This was hard. I felt like my entire life stopped so I could take care of this little girl. For a long time I felt like I couldn’t leave the house or even function in the outside world. I was constantly stressed. All while loving my new little girl. A few people had mentioned that I seemed different. Of course I was different. My entire life just changed. Yet some felt that I didn’t seem as happy as I was. This made me sad. I didn’t want to be different. I didn’t even realize I was different. Looking back though I was. I was just as happy – I was happier actually. I just didn’t know how to emulate it. Of course in a quick conversation is seemed obvious but those around me closer sensed my level of stress. I’m not really sure if it was post partum depression. I’m sure to an extent it was. I know that it was a huge release of hormones into my body all at once along with a huge life change. It was scary, it was stressful, it was amazing. Over the last several weeks I personally have noticed a change. I enjoy Kenleigh even more. I didn’t know it was possible. We are figuring each other out. I calm her now – she wants me. We have our own touches with each other. I enjoy her differently. I enjoy her constantly. I stress less. My emotions are level. She’s my blessing. An incredible blessing. My life doesn’t feel like it’s adjusting anymore. I’m a mother. I will always be a mother. I’m sad it took me a while to figure out how to be a mother. To some it is very natural, for me I had to adjust. This shouldn’t have surprised me. I still burn toast. Of course it wouldn’t come easy. Not for me! I still burn toast but now I’m a lucky, lucky mom!
Anyway, Kenleigh was so excited for her three month birthday that I think she woke up every hour the night before. Actually I know she did. This morning Zach got Kenleigh up and let me sleep in for a bit. I guess he had plans of his own to celebrate. When I woke up I came downstairs and Zach and KMae were nowhere to be found…they must be in the basement. That was out of character. We haven’t hung out down there since she was born. Literally. I went to see what they were up to and this is what I found. Zach was down there entertaining her with a little Xbox. I seriously laughed so hard. She was so content lying on her play mat watching him play. They were bonding. It was cute. Father-daughter morning in our house was fun. I let them be.
For the last couple of weeks our good little sleeper has become a bad little sleeper. I’m not really sure what happened. She used to wake up only once a night for a quick bottle and was back to bed. Lately she has been up 2-3 times a night and sometimes (too often) more. I think in the next few weeks we are going to try some sleep training with her if we can’t get her back on track. Not sure how that will go. Here are a few more updates.
*She is still smiling a lot and laughing. She has even started belly laughing. Not a ton but when she does it I can’t help but crack up myself.
*She still hates tummy time. Any suggestions?
*She still hates being in the car. She has gotten better but it’s totally random on if she’s going to scream or not…more screaming than not still.
*She is ok to not be rocked to sleep for her naps anymore. Now I just put her in the swing at naptime and she goes right to sleep.
*She is the SLOWEST eater on the planet. I have tried faster nipples and she chokes. She just likes to eat slowly. She's dainty!
*She pays more attention to her toys and is actually entertained by them.
*She has discovered her hands. She is always staring at them and sucking on them.
*She pulls on my hair.
*She is starting to drool a ton.
*She’s still perfect.

7 comments:

Becky said...

What a beautiful baby!Im glad things are getting easier for you. Believe me, you are not alone on how you have been feeling. Things got better for me around 3 months with my girls...now you can really start to enjoy her. This is when she starts learning and doing new little things that will make you the proudest mommy in the world.
I'm coming home for christmas! so expect a visiter!

Marcy Cheney said...

What a beautiful post Sara! You are so honest with your feelings and trust me, you are perfectly normal...some new moms just wouldn't tell and "pretend" that everything is all good. We love you and are so proud of the Mom we always knew you would become. Zach is pretty amazing as a Dad also and I really love that pic of the Xbox...how cute. Love you Missy

The Leavitt Family said...

Ok, this post was amazing! You're such a wonderful mommy and don't ever think otherwise. It's something that takes alot of time to get use to and it never truly get easy. She's absolutely beautiful and you and Zach are the cutest parents. Can't wait to see how she evolves into a little girl, and I can't wait to see that red hair in pig tails! I'm so glad we're friends and it makes me happy to watch my friend be so happy. Love ya bunches!!!

Stefanie said...

She's beautiful! I love the father daughter time, those will be precious memories to look back on, so good job taking pictures! Keep up the good work mommy!

Jeremy & Amy Mahmood said...

I think you have seemed totally happy, stressed and all. You know I love to watch you with K.
Tummy time -- 60 seconds at a time baby...just think to yourself "60 seconds prevents the ugly bald spot and flat head"
Try hanging a toy from your seat so she can see it in the car, or find music she likes and listen to it....can't help much more with the car.
GET THAT BABY HER OWN XBOX CONTROLLER! No fun to just watch!

grams said...

SARA, WE LOVE YOU AND LOVE YOUR LITTLE FAMILY. KMAE IS SO AMAZING. I CAN'T BELIEVE THREE MONTHS AND WE HAVE NOT SEEN HER YET. I PROMISE WE WILL BEFORE TOO MUCH LONGER. I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND AM HAPPPY THAT YOUR ARE FEELING BETTER. AS MARCY SAID, THERE ARE SO MANY OF US THAT HAVE THOSE FEELING, BUT ARE AFRAID TO DISCLOSE THEM.. HAVE A WONDERFUL MONTH. LOVE YA

Malena Aragon Everill said...

Sara,

I love the comment "She's discovered her hands" I think it is so amazing that you get to watch this whole process take place, what an absolutely fabulous experience. Enjoy every minute, and from what I can see, you're right, she is PERFECT! Much love from the Everill's :)